Yes, it’s cliche, but January is the perfect time for resolutions, goal-setting, and making plans to better yourself throughout the year. Here are some events, webinars, and other activities of note to help you with your professional development this month.
Job-Hunting Help. If you’re on the hunt for a new job, and one-third of employees are, look for online resources to help you make the most of social media and learn more about potential future careers.
- Learn how to leverage the new LinkedIn profiles in a paid webinar from Jason Alba, the author of I’m on LinkedIn—Now What??? on January 17.
- Join #JobHuntChat on Twitter, Monday evenings from 10:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST.
- @HFChat (Hire Friday Chat) also hosts #HFChat with career experts on Fridays at 12:00 p.m. EST.
- NY Creative Interns hosts Creative Q&A virtual events, and on January 16 at 8:00 p.m. EST, Tina Yip, community manager for R/GA will talk about getting into and advancing in the social media industry.
Local Events. If you live in one of these cities below, check out the interesting workshops and panels taking place during January.
- If you’re in Atlanta, attend a “Embracing Conflict: Personal & Professional Conflict Management Workshop” at Little Five Points Community Center on January 19 from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- In the New York City area? Achievement First is hosting a professional development session for teachers called “The Together Teacher: Plan Ahead, Get Organized, and Save Time!” on January 26 from 1:00 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in Brooklyn.
- In Portland, the Nonprofit Association of Oregon is hosting “Nonprofits & Advocacy: Mission Advancement & Civic Engagement,” a day of training on January 23 from 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Free Online Events and Resources. No matter where you are located, you can easily attend several free webinars in January related to nonprofit management and operations.
- The Nonprofit Technology Network is hosting a free webinar on January 15 at 11:00 a.m. EST about mobile donations.
- The “Developing an Epic Facebook Strategy for your Nonprofit” webinar will be held on January 30 at 3:00 p.m. EST.
- If you’re looking to expand your organization’s Twitter presence, marketing software company HubSpot is offering a free download of “How to Use Twitter for Business.”
Conferences. Do you have the time and money to attend a conference that’s not in your zip code? Plan ahead with a couple conferences set for early February.
- The DMA Nonprofit Federation 2013 Washington Nonprofit Conference is set for February 7 and 8, with Katya Andresen, COO and CSO of Network for Good as the keynote speaker.
- The Social Enterprise Conference is planned for February 9 and 10 in Boston, with Ben Rattray, founder and CEO of Change.org as the keynote.
Fellowship and Mentorship Programs. If you’re looking for something a little more in-depth and long term, there are several fellowships and internships in public service, government, and more that have January deadlines.
- Apply to work with President Obama (January 27 deadline).
- Choose between a year-long fellowship or a ten-week leadership training program with the Greenlining Institute (both January 18).
- Learn more about the nine-month Coro Fellows Program in Public Affairs (January 18).
- The Nonprofit Consulting Meetup Group is expanding its incubator and mentorship program in 2013. The group is currently gathering interest via its Meetup page and will plan a kick-off event soon.
Management Training. Even if you are a bit farther along in your career or more set at your organization, there are still ways you can grow and learn.
- Goodnik, a group for social entrepreneurs and nonprofit innovators, is hosting a free Meetup event on “Hiring and Firing in the Social Enterprise” on January 23 at 7:00 p.m. in New York.
- The Center for Nonprofit Advancement is offering classes in January on “Facilitating Meetings that Work” and “How to Present Skillfully and Tactfully,” in Washington, DC on January 16 and 25 starting at 9:30 a.m., respectively.
And don’t forget to volunteer. Volunteering during your free time is definitely be one ongoing way you can boost your career, especially when the career is in nonprofits. Martin Luther King, Jr. day is Monday, January 21, and there are many volunteer opportunities available on Idealist and elsewhere for that three-day weekend.