By Julia Smith and Diana Hsu.
Earlier today, we tweeted, “Wondering: How are you spending September 11th?” Replies ranged from interning at a hospital (@dva136) to supporting a fundraiser in Portland (@GeezerGallery) to attending a film festival in NYC (@thepete).
What about you? Maybe you’re opting for quiet reflection this year. Maybe, like Baratunde Thurston, you’ll celebrate a birthday. Maybe you’re leaning toward volunteering in your community.
If that last idea has been on your mind, here’s one thing to consider: This year, to mark the tenth anniversary of the September 11th attacks, MyGoodDeed and HandsOn Network are organizing the largest day of service in United States history.
Below are just a few of the events and volunteer opportunities listed on Idealist for this weekend. For more ideas, visit 911dayofservice.org, the official website of the September 11th Day of Service and Remembrance.
- Sept. 9-Sept. 11, New York, NY: Director Sheryl Oring and an organization called I Wish to Say will lead a public performance piece called Collective Memory
- Sept. 10, Tempe, AZ: United Blood Services/Arizona will host a Blood Drive – 9/11 Memorial @ Tempe Healing Field
- Sept. 10, Mound Bayou, MS: Lindsay Vaughan will coordinate healthy packages for troops in Iraq as part of her 9/11 Service Project – Healthy Food for Our Troops Raffle
- Sept. 11, Fort Collins, CO: United Way of Larimer County will host a 9/11 Day of Service & Remembrance Event
- Sept. 11, Garrison, NY: The Garrison Institute will screen a film and hold a discussion at Rebirth and Resilience: A 9/11 Observance
- Sept. 10, Washington, DC: City Gate will host “a day of service and fellowship” – see Volunteers needed to commemorate 9/11 on 9/10
- Sept. 11, Charleston, WV: An individual named Heather is gathering neighbors for Appreciating Our First Responders -Service Project Volunteer Opportunity
- Through October 1, Bay Area, CA: In San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland, Berkeley, and other communities, you can join HandsOn Bay Areas – from Remembrance to Change – a Season of Service
- Date TBD, South Sioux City, NE: The City of South Sioux City needs help planting trees for a 9/11 Day of Service and Honoring a Fallen Soldier
- Ongoing/long-term, New York, NY: The National September 11 Memorial & Museum seeks 9/11 Memorial Volunteers – On a Mission of Honor & Hope
For more ways to get involved this weekend and beyond, search Idealist.org. And please let us know how you’re planning to spend the weekend.