Elise and I went to NTEN‘s annual conference in Washington, DC last week. It was great to meet many of you there! Here are some of the takeaways we’ve spotted thanks to the still-buzzing #11NTC Twitter stream…
Change doesn’t have to be scary
- NTC Plenary: Dan Heath, Flip the Switch (Beth Kanter, NTEN blog) offers Cliff’s Notes to the opening plenary by Switch co-author Dan Heath.
- “Switch” the Way You Ask for Action – 11NTC (Kivi Leroux Miller, NonprofitMarketingGuide.com): How can we apply lessons from Switch to our daily work to make change less scary?
- Five Lessons for Digital Fundraisers from 11NTC (Claire Kerr, Nonprofity.com). Are you using data and segmenting your email messages? Are you grudgingly or eagerly working mobile phones into your communications strategy? Here are some bite-size tips about these topics and more.
- Raising Money When Your Cause Just Isn’t Sexy (Raymund Flandez, Chronicle of Philanthropy) recaps a session led by Susan Gordon from Causes.
Kudos for transparency
- Measuring Impact in Human Rights Work: A Look at WITNESS’s Dashboard (Jenni Wolfson, WITNESS.org blog). Measuring the impact of human rights work is hard. WITNESS is doing it anyway. Here’s how.
Be nice to your tech people
- Maybe I just have it easy? (Bailey Kasten, Wish You Worked Here). At the National Society of Collegiate Scholars, muses Kasten, “operations and technology have a voice.” She offers some advice to the folks in workplaces where that’s not true.
Storytelling through specific channels
- DoGooder Video Awards Announced at NTC! (Maddie Grant, SocialFish.org). Thinking of incorporating video into your organization’s communications strategy? Check out the winners of “best thrifty organization video,” “best small organization video,” and more categories.
- Using Location Based Services for Your Nonprofit (John Haydon, SocialBrite) recaps a session about how services like FourSquare can be included in your strategy to raise awareness and money.
And these are just the beginning!
- NTEN Announces Launch of New Publication for Nonprofit Leaders (and it’s free!) (Annaliese Hohling, NTEN). Holly Ross, Executive Director of NTEN, “joked” that you might want to secretly sign your boss up for this quarterly online journal.
Are you blogging about your 11NTC experience? Leave a comment below with a link!