Today is Human Trafficking Awareness Day. With nearly 27 million people trafficked each year, people and organizations around the world are coming together to draw attention to this pressing issue. To help you explore ways to get involved, we’ve put together a list of job opportunities and events around the world.
If you want more information and opportunities on human trafficking, set up an email alert based on a search for the term “human trafficking”. Idealist will deliver dozens of jobs, volunteer opportunities, events, and internships directly to your inbox.
Opportunities in Cambodia
- If you live in southeast Asia, or would like to work there, check out Transitions Global. Although based in Ohio, this organization works extensively in Cambodia and runs a center for girls rescued from sex trafficking. They’ve currently got three positions posted on Idealist, all of them in Cambodia.
Opportunities in the United States
- If you would like to work in the U.S., there are dozens of organizations devoted to fighting trafficking all across the country. In New York City, the Asian American Legal Defense and Education Fund is currently seeking a Community Organizer for its Anti-Trafficking Initiative, while Safe Horizon needs an Administrative Director for its Youth and Anti-Trafficking Program.
- For the tech savvy Idealist user, the OLP Foundation in Washington D.C. is looking for a Website Manager for www.humantraffickingsearch.net. Not into code? Bone up for your Bar exam and head to the Lone Star state for jobs in the legal field. Apply to be a paralegal in Houston with Kids in Need of Defense, or check out Children at Risk’s posting of Staff Attorney in Dallas if you already sign your name with Esq.
- If you’re more into palm trees than wide open spaces, Idealist has you covered with plenty of opportunities in sunny California. Opening Doors offers a fellowship with its Human Trafficking Department in Sacramento, and the International Rescue Committee has an opening for a Human Resources Partner in Oakland. Maybe I lied about the palm trees.
- Not in the market for a new job but still want to make a difference? On January 29th in New York City UNICEF is screening Not My Life, a documentary about human trafficking filmed over four year across five continents. After the screening, there will be a panel discussion with advocates from the movement.
- On the West Coast, the Freedom and Fashion Collective Conference on March 23rd needs volunteers for backstage production and foreground logistics. The Conference will bring together the non-profit, fashion, business, and media industries to fight human trafficking.
- Finally, the Human Trafficking Awareness Council is planning a national awareness campaign that will culminate the week of August 6th with a rally in Washington, D.C. Send them an email and see if you can help out in your hometown!
What are YOU doing for Human Trafficking Awareness Day?
Tags: Human Trafficking Day