Our re-launch brings with it tons of improvements. Here are some staff favorites:
Join us: fill out your profile and connect with your community!
1. Enriched User Profile & Connections. Idealist has always been a community of people who want to make a better world. Now we are giving you more space to share who you are and what keeps you up at night, so that you can connect with people like you.
2. Everyone Can Post! Until now, only organizations could post listings, but we know that individuals can have a powerful impact too. Sometimes the beginnings of an idea or a loose collective of people working together are the ones most in need of resources and visibility. Now everyone can post listings: recruit volunteers, post a description of a program you run, or invite people to an event.
3. Improved Search. Finding the right opportunity in the right place that fits with your interests, skills, and availability is never easy. Now you can refine the search results right on the same page with keywords and filters (like a job’s salary range or a volunteer opportunity’s time commitment).
Refine the search results in the right column using the filters on the left.
4. Bookmarks. One of our most commonly requested features was a way to save your favorite listings. Now, you can bookmark the jobs you’ve applied to, the organization pages that interest you, or events you’re interested in attending. Wherever you are on the site, you’ll have one click access to all your bookmarked listings.
5. Save Your Searches. When you’re searching for jobs or volunteer opportunities, you often run the same search again and again. Save time with easy access to your frequently used searches, and get them emailed to you as alerts if you want.
Name your searches for easy reference!
6. Sharing & Recommending. When you see something you like on Idealist, you can share it with all your connections or privately recommend it to a specific person.
Idealist, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Myspace...
7. Info Centers. We’ve consolidated and edited our resource centers to bring you the most pertinent and up-to-date information about all the topics that can help you move from intention to action. Check out our new and improved resources for volunteering, nonprofit careers, and nonprofit organizations.
Find links to these at the bottom of every page.
8. Org-to-org Connections. We’re often asked, “How do I know if an organization is legitimate?” Now you can make more informed decisions about your involvement. In addition to seeing individuals connected to an organization, you can also see its relationships to other organizations, including funders, local partners, and affiliates.
9. Baking from Scratch. Idealist was originally built in 1995. When it comes to coding and improving a website, there are tools and tricks available now that we simply couldn’t take advantage of on our 15-year-old platform. So we started fresh, and we’ll be able to adapt more quickly from here on out.
10. Design. We cleaned it all up, aiming to make the user experience more intuitive and consistent, and more accessible to users with disabilities.
Have fun exploring, and if you have questions or ideas, please let us know.